POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? : Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing?
From: Hugo
Date: 29 Apr 2002 04:52:48
Message: <3ccd09e0@news.povray.org>
> You should have 56 MB left after Windows starts up.  Windows uses half
your
> available physical memory, plus an additional 8 MB.  Are you loading some
> additional programs at startup?

Nothing that I can imagine needs 13 mb.. I only have a few common things at
startup; drivers for keyboard, mouse, sound, graphicscard and the (very
small) freeware RAMpage program.. The "cachemaster" (also freeware) even
forces unload of all unused DLL files.

But even when you say 56, I don't understand these days.. If you ever had an
Amiga computer, maybe you remember it's "windows-like" OS that ran on 512
KB... And I don't see why todays Windows need SO much physical memory.. I
really think Microsoft just expands memory because of some odd deal with the
RAM chip manufacturers.

Regards,
Hugo